Hamburg, 01/27/2016 | Press Release | Camera & Audio Olympus PEN-F: High end camera performance never looked or felt so good
The definition of style and substance in photography – High end camera performance never looked or felt so good, and the PEN-F is the very definition of style and substance in photography. It is a unique piece of craftsmanship, an icon in the making. The creators of the new PEN F have taken this to heart, and enhanced its state-of-the-art optical credentials with a tangible blend of heritage, contemporary design and genuine innovation that lends the camera that most elusive and compelling of qualities: insight. It is a camera for those who adore the finer things in life. Yes, the PEN F can deliver world-class photography but its aura aspires to more.
Lovers of pure design will quickly understand that The PEN-F is a camera that other people grab hold of when you let them and then tend not to hand back in a hurry. Its designers have gone to great lengths to make it feel as good as it looks with not a single screw head visible. It is a collector’s item, and while it will appeal to gadget lovers, the story goes beyond that.
This is a once in a generation item that will appeal to those with a photographic bent but more than that, to everyone blessed with enhanced visual perception or awareness. Sure the new PEN-F is a system camera with interchangeable lenses, like every PEN. And it is based on the Micro Four Thirds format - what that means is that it’s more compact and lighter than the much larger DSLRs, yet still offers comparable if not better image quality.
The shooting style
Not many cameras in this category offer their owner the flourish of classic, rangefinder-style, street shooting and the added precision that comes with a built-in super high quality electronic viewfinder. The PEN-F has a viewfinder with focusing assistance and a large, high-def OLED display as well as a real-time preview of any setting adjustments made using creative options and dials.
The new creative dial
The largest metal dial on top of the PEN-F gives you instant, no-look access to four creative features, some of which are new in this category. In addition to 14 Art Filters, you can adjust Colour Profile Control, Monochrome Profile Control and Colour Creator. Monochrome Profile Control lets you tweak the gradation curve, film grain and shading. – A lever behind the dial gives you instant access to your favourite options – no computer required. A flick of your thumb is all it takes.
The world’s fastest response*
The PEN-F features the category’s shortest time lag between pressing the button and the actual shutter release. The autofocus is also extremely quick, thanks to the Eye Detect AF feature and touch-panel access to point focusing.
The image quality
The innovations and eye candy above would mean little if the PEN-F couldn’t deliver on image quality and portability, but this is where the new Olympus scores highest over its rivals. Boasting the latest sensor and image processing technology, this is a camera that really delivers.
For uploading your images, the PEN-F supports Wi-Fi and via the free OI.Share, posting your masterpieces on-line is a breeze.
Of course, the PEN-F is compatible with a wide range of dedicated Olympus accessories and some 40 M.ZUIKO lenses , including the professional M.ZUIKO PRO range. It is available in black or silver from early March 2016. It costs €1199 for the body only, €1399 in a kit with the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-42mm 1-3.5-5.6 EZ Pancake lens, and €1499 with the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake lens.
Every Olympus lens and camera comes with a free six-month warranty extension** when registered via the MyOlympus online platform.
- Genuine leather neck strap CSS-S120L. Haptics are an essential part of the PEN-F experience, and leather accessories reinforce that.
- Genuine leather wrapping cloth CS-48PR. Protection for both the camera and a spare lens in a suitably high-quality material.
- Genuine leather camera bag CBG-11PR. The timeless design and craftsmanship of the messenger bag match the PEN-F.
- OI.Share v2.6 smartphone app. For seamless Wi-Fi image sharing.
- Body jacket CS-47B. A stylish way to help protect the camera from bumps and scratches.
- Metal L-grip. Increase the surface area of the camera for a firmer hold when shooting fast on the street.
Product specifications are subject to change without notice. Please check the Olympus website at http://www.olympus-europa.com for the latest specifications.
* As of December 2015. Among interchangeable lens cameras – including SLRs – on the market, and using Olympus’s in-house test conditions.
** Six months on top of the statutory warranty in the country of purchase.
PEN-F Main Features:
- High end camera performance never looked or felt so good
- Collector’s item thanks to iconic design, build quality, high-grade materials and finish
- State-of-the-art 5-axis image stabilisation and 20-Megapixel Live MOS sensor for capturing exceptional, spontaneous, handheld images at low ISO settings with low noise and enhanced dynamic range
- Electronic viewfinder for rangefinder-style street photography, with real-time preview of settings, focus peaking and magnification on high-res 2.36 million-dot OLED display
- Creative Dial access to on-board Art Filters and new creative features including Colour Profile Control, Monochrome Profile Control and Colour Creator
- Eye Detect AF and touch-panel access to point focusing increase focusing speed
- Built-in Wi-Fi for sharing images via compatible smartphones and free OI.Share app
- Faster-than-DSLR, category-best* response time thanks to Fast AF and processing speed
- Compatible with full range of first-class M.ZUIKO lenses and accessories
PEN-F Other Features:
- Vari-angle high-resolution LCD monitor for shooting at awkward angles
- TruePic VII processor with 50- Megapixel high-res shot option
- Customizable Mode Dial for fast adjustment of favourite settings
- Supersonic Wave Filter automatically cleans sensor without extra cleaning program
- High-speed sequential shooting @10 fps
- 1/8000 second shutter and ISO 80 equivalent for shooting in bright conditions
- AF target spot metering linked to AF point (as requested by photographers) for correct exposure in any situation
Olympus Europa is the headquarters for the region Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA) of the Olympus Corporation, Tokyo. As a worldwide leading manufacturer of optical and digital precision technology, Olympus provides innovative solutions for state-of-the-art medical systems, digital cameras as well as scientific solutions. The company’s award winning products are instrumental in detecting, preventing and healing illness, driving scientific research and documenting life with artistic freedom. In the hands of its customers, Olympus’ high-tech products help to make people’s lives healthier, safer and more fulfilling.
For more information: www.olympus-europa.com